Early detection saves residents and historic landmark

FSdugoutfire

Firefighters work to contain at fire at S&S Dugout early this morning.

An early morning fire occurred in the S&S Dugout Restaurant at 3449 Post Road, Southport, Wednesday morning. Residents were able to escape do to the quick actions of the employee’s cell phone call and the building’s fire alarm system.

The structure, dating back to 1924, was saved due to the response and actions by the Fairfield Fire Department’s Engine 4, 1, 2, 5; and Ladder 1 and 2, assisted by Squad 14 of Southport.

Engine 4, under the command of Lt. Mark Harry, was first on scene and quickly contained the fire to the area of the grill in the kitchen. Engine 1 and Ladder 1 initiated search and rescue of the second floor of the building which is used as a rooming house. Additional units worked checking for extension of fire, ventilation and preparing the building for reoccupation.

Four residents were evacuated from the second floor and briefly displaced in the early morning cold. Occupants were evaluated by AMR Ambulance for smoke exposure and none were transported. They were able to reoccupy their single room apartments after responding units ventilated the smoke condition from the second floor.

Fairfield’s Building Department Official James Gilleran and Health Inspector Sands Cleary were called to the scene in the early morning to assess the effects of the fire.

The S&S Dugout was closed temporarily for cleaning and restoration, hoping to open later in the day, pending re-inspection by the health department and fire marshal.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress