Suspect in string of robberies caught after chase

A suspect in a robbery in Fairfield — the third in two days — was arrested after a chase that ended in Bridgeport Tuesday, Jan. 22.

Shortly before 2 p.m., the clerk at Southport News, 3456 Post Road, reported that a cell phone and cash were taken. The suspect walked into the store wearing a black ski mask, black jeans, black gloves and a camouflage jacket.

Although the suspect threatened to kill the clerk with a gun, no weapon was displayed.

The suspect fled east on the Post Road in a gray vehicle.

Joshua Santiago Yard

Joshua Santiago Yard

Fairfield Officer Daniel Victoria spotted the vehicle exiting I-95 onto Commerce Drive, where he attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop. Police said the suspect disregarded the officer’s direction and fled into Bridgeport, “engaging officers in a vehicle pursuit endangering the lives of others and officers,” according to a release from Fairfield Police.

The suspect continued driving onto Maplewood Avenue and Poplar Street.

The pursuit ended when the Buick almost crashed into the Maple Mart Grocery and Deli on Hancock Avenue, according to Doing It Local. A foot pursuit through the backyards before police caught up with him and brought him into custody.

Joshua Santiago Yard, 29, of 375 Grand Street in Bridgeport, was taken into custody one block away on Hancock Avenue, with the assistance of Bridgeport Police.

Police said Yard has a history of incidents in Fairfield, and this investigation continues as to determine his involvement in the other cases in Fairfield and Bridgeport.

Fairfield Police Sgt. Suzanne Lussier told Doing It Local that Yard was being sought in connection in an attempted robbery at McDonald’s on Fairfield Avenue, and holdups at Andros Diner on Villa Avenue and the Cumberland Farms at 975 Kings Highway.

In a press release, police said Yard was initially developed as a suspect in the previous cases when he was questioned by Fairfield Police on Monday, Jan. 21, at 2:34 a.m. Officers saw him riding a bicycle traveling south on Tunxis Hill Road near Kohl’s. At the time of the stop, none of the Fairfield incidents had occurred and he did not have any items of contraband on him and was released.

Yard was charged Tuesday with first-degree robbery, third-degree larceny, reckless endangerment, fifth-degree larceny and interfering with an officer.

He was being held on a $150,000 bond late Tuesday.

Doing It Local reported that Yard stole a car being warmed up in Bridgeport just after 1 p.m. Tuesday, and used that car to drive to Southport News.


About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress