Two injured in Southport Christmas fire

Two people were injured in a fire that destroyed a Southport residence early Christmas morning.

Fairfield firefighters encountered heavy fire when they arrived at a Southport residence around 3:30 Christmas morning. — Fairfield Fire Department photo

Fairfield firefighters encountered heavy fire when they arrived at a Southport residence around 3:30 Christmas morning. — Fairfield Fire Department photo

An emergency call reported a fire at 459 Morehouse Lane at 3:28 a.m. Monday, Dec. 25.

The caller told dispatchers that all the occupants escaped, but firefighters learned one person suffered what the department called minor injuries jumping from a second-floor window.

The first three firefighters arrived on scene, under the command of Lt. Philip Higgins, within 10 minutes of notification. Upon arrival, crews found heavy fire throughout the house, and all available on-duty personnel and equipment were called to the scene, under the direction of Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood. The Westport Fire Department was special called to scene to assist in establishing a water supply down the long and narrow roadway. The Bridgeport Fire Department provided station coverage during this incident.

Seven people were asleep in the residence when the fire broke out. Two occupants were taken to a local hospital, not identified by the Fairfield Fire Department, by American Medical Response for treatment of injuries.

The Fire Prevention Division will be conducting the investigation.

The Red Cross and the Milford Fire Department Canteen also responded to provide assistance to both the family and responders during the night’s frigid temperatures.

“We would like all our residents to test their smoke alarms and please be attentive to open flames, candle usage and fire places during this holiday season,” Fire Chief Denis McCarthy said.

A house at 459 Morehouse Lane in Southport was destroyed by fire around 3:30 Christmas morning. Two people were taken to the hospital. — Fairfield Fire Department photo

A house at 459 Morehouse Lane in Southport was destroyed by fire around 3:30 Christmas morning. Two people were taken to the hospital. — Fairfield Fire Department photo

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress