Football: Warde shuts out Danbury High, 27-0

Fairfield Warde notched its first shutout in eight years Saturday as the Mustangs blanked Danbury, 27-0, at Tetreau-Davis Field in Fairfield.

Warde’s last shutout was over Darien, 14-0, on Sept. 17, 2009.

The Mustangs improve to (3-2). The Hatters drop to (0-5).

Warde got on the board with 10:34 left in the first quarter when Ryan Janz picked off a pass from Danbury’s Jordan Khuth and ran in back 35 yards for the touchdown.

“We didn’t block the number two receiver that we practiced all week, actually two weeks,” said Danbury head coach Alex Trasacco. “We just had a mind lapse and that was it.”

The Mustangs increased their lead to 14-0 with 6:26 left in the half on Tyler Llewellyn’s 32-yard touchdown run.

The touchdown drive was aided by some Hatters’ penalties.

Warde had a fourth down and six at their own 48-yard-line with 6:53 left in the half, but an offsides penalty made it fourth down and one at the Danbury 47.

Llewellyn was stopped short on a run, but a facemask penalty extended the drive, giving the Mustangs a first down at the 32.

On the next play, Llewellyn would scramble into the end zone.

“We laid an egg last year against Danbury and we wanted to make sure we didn’t do that today. We want to win our home games and I think we are playing pretty decent,” said Warde head coach Duncan DellaVolpe.

The Mustangs have one remaining home game, Nov. 3 against Brien McMahon at 7 p.m.

On the opening drive of the second half, Warde went 70 yards for the score, capped by a 26-yard touchdown run by Joe Gjinaj.

The touchdown was set up by runs of 13 yards and 10 yards by Llewellyn, and gave the Mustangs a 20-0 lead with 7:30 left in the third quarter.

“We were going to take what they were going to give us. On offense we wanted to see if we could throw a little bit and open up the run,” said DellaVolpe.

The Hatters could not get going offensively. as Warde’s defense was constantly in the backfield.

Danbury had a fourth down and 12 at their own 28 with 5:45 left in the third.

Warde’s Matt Coda got his hand on the punt to set the Mustangs up with great field position at the Hatters’ 35-yard line.

Warde drove it down to the five yard line before Danbury came up with a defensive stand on fourth down to keep the Mustangs from adding on there.

The Mustangs’ defense was led by Gjinaj’s three sacks.

“We all went one hundred percent today. This week we focused on their formations and we knew everything,” said Gjinaj. “It was tough but I did my job, I got the sacks.”

Warde’s scoring was capped by a 7-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Matt Cereminaro  to Jeff Seganos with 3:43 left in the game.

“We’ll come back hard Monday and do what we do. We’ll practice hard and get ready (for Trumbull on Saturday (1:30 p.m.),” said Trasacco.

Warde will travel to Darien next Saturday at 1:30 p.m.

The Blue Wave won its 30th straight game Friday night in Westport, beating Staples 32-6.

“(They are a) top team in the state,” Gjinaj said. “We have to have complete focus in practice this week.”

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress