Complete fall season

The Greens Farms Academy boys soccer team (13-1) went 3-0 defeating St. Luke’s 3-0,  Canterbury 3-2 and Rye Country Day School 1-0.
Against St. Luke’s, both teams battled to a 0-0 tie in the first half.
In the second half, the Dragons broke through when senior Ryan Eckert knocked home a rebound.
That goal seemed to spark GFA, and senior Munir Qaddourah quickly made it 2-0 with an assist from senior Spencer Hartig.
Hartig then finished the scoring for GFA off an assist from junior Wyatt Cook.
Senior goalkeeper Ryan Friend, along with classmates Anders Forfang and Van Barnet were aided by Eckert and John Lawrance from Southport in the tough, gritty shutout.
Midfielders Griffin (sophomore) and (senior captain) Clay Garner united with senior Charlie Salmans, junior Brendan Bieder from Southport and freshman Charlie Mounts in the win.
Against Canterbury, GFA jumped out to an early 2-0 lead by pressuring Canterbury everywhere on the field.
Clay Garner scored first, assisted by Qaddourah. Griffin Garner quickly made it 2-0 assisted by Hartig.
In the second half, Hartig scored GFA’s third goal when Qaddourah notched his second assist of the game.
Friend led a strong defense in the victory.
Against Rye Country Day, GFA 1-0 victory solidified the FAA regular season league championship and will be the top seed in the FAA Tournament.
The 1-0 victory was a very intense, hard-fought affair, as the quick, physical RCDS team played high pressure soccer throughout the entire game.
Hartig scored the lone goal of the match with the assist from Mounts 30 minutes into the first half.
The entire team contributed to the defensive work that earned the shutout, and to the offense work that led to scoring opportunities.
Cross country
GFA (16-11) finished the FAA regular season going 1-3 at Brunswick Academy.
This race saw three girls break 23:00 minutes for only the second time all season on a 3.1 mile course.
Senior Kate Mohr from Southport led the way at 21:19, senior Haley McCalprin clocked in at 22:23 and sophomore Georgia Grellier finished with her best time this fall at 22:58.
The GFA boys team finished the FAA regular season in third place behind Hopkins School and Brunswick Academy.
On Oct. 24, that order held true as both Hopkins and host Brunswick defeated GFA but GFA defeated Masters School.
Senior Kenner Clark finished second overall with his best time of the season on a 5K course with 17:00 flat.
Freshman Alex McCall also set a personal record finishing at 18:23.
Other runners that clocked in with their best times of the season were junior Mark Whittaker from Fairfield at 19:46, senior Brian Bremer at  20:49, junior Dan Paliotta at 20:46, sophomore Kevin Wong at 21:53, freshman Vasco Sousa at 27:07 and freshman Matt Lichtenberg at 27:20.
Girls soccer
GFA went 2-0-1 this week defeating Convent of the Sacred Heart 2-0, tying Canterbury 1-1 and defeating Masters 2-0.
Against Convent, the Dragons scored with eight minutes left to go in the first half.
GFA earned a direct kick and senior Phebe Wong struck the ball from a few yards outside the box, where senior captain Caroline Vanacore got her head on the ball and knocked it over the head of a very strong CSH goalkeeper.
Throughout the next 40 minutes, GFA played a great game of possession and finally was able to find the back of the net one more time.
Senior Blair Pelley took a corner kick, finding the head of Wong and leaving the game at its final 2-0 tally.
Freshman Erin Reilly from Fairfield played a stellar game in defense with Pelley, junior Cole Vanacore , and freshmen Ellie Wong and Ingrid Backe from Fairfield.
Junior goalie Caroline Kruk earned another shutout victory with four saves.
Against Canterbury, GFA found the back of the net first as Wong took a throw in which rebounded back to her as she sent in a rocket to the opposite top corner of the goal for the short-lived 1-0 lead.
Minutes later, Canterbury was able to break through the GFA defense and scored a goal to tie the game. The game ended in a 1-1 tie.
Against Masters, sophomore Campbell Goldsmith started the scoring when she took a corner kick from the left-hand side and senior captain Kiki Kauffman was able to knock it in for a 1-0 lead before two minutes had even ticked off the clock.
The rest of the half and much of the second 40 was played evenly between the two teams.
It wasn’t until there were just 12 minutes left in the match that GFA was able to put in its second goal.
Junior Tia Carson was fed a ball from the midfield that she took up the middle of the field and sent past a diving Masters’ goalie for the final 2-0 tally.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress