MTA corrects name of man killed by train Saturday

A New Milford man has been identified as the man killed when struck by a train in Fairfield Saturday, July 7.

MTA Police Sunday said the trespasser was Michael Leary, 51, of 95 Grove St., New Milford.

An incorrect last name had been released by the MTA Sunday.

The MTA said that Leary was lying down on the tracks about 3/4 of a mile west of Fairfield Metro Station, directly behind Stop & Shop on Kings Highway, when he was struck by an eastbound train at approximately 6:26 p.m. Saturday.

Leary was killed instantly and was officially pronounced dead at the scene by Connecticut Medical Examiner.

Leary was identified from personal papers found on his body and his family notified of his death, according to the MTA.

The train which struck him, which had about 350 riders aboard, resumed its trip east after a 90-minute delay.

According to MTA Police records, on June 6 Leary was issued a summons by MTA Police for trespassing on the Metro-North right-of-way at the same location where he was killed.

The cause of the incident is under investigation by the MTA Police. No other information is available at this time, according to Metro-North spokesman Salvatore Arena.

Saturday, 8:47 p.m.: A person was struck and killed by a New Haven-bound train near Kings Highway, between the Fairfield and Fairfield Metro train stations, Saturday evening around 6:30.

“The train struck the trespasser,” Salvatore Arena, a spokesman for MTA Metro-North Railroad, said Saturday night. ” The trespasser was killed. The EMS, MTA Police and ultimately the medical examiner must have come.”

The train, which left Grand Central at 5:34 that evening, involved was delayed at the scene for 90 minutes, Arena said, before it continued on its way to New Haven. While the train that hit the person remained in the area, which had 300-400 passengers, one track remained opened. New Haven Line trains were delayed for 10 to 20 minutes for about two hours.

Arena said the victim has not been identified and did not know if the deceased was a male or female.

The final police and rail crews were clearing the scene shortly before 9 p.m. Responders were parked behind the Stop & Shop on Kings Highway and in the construction staging lot next door.

Earlier on Saturday, Darien Police were were alerted of a possibly distraught man walking near the tracks, according to some reports. It is not known if the reports are linked to this death.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress