Fairfield firefighters help save home on Pine Creek Avenue

On Friday, May 15, at 7:28 p.m. the Fairfield Emergency Communications Center (ECC) received a call from a Fairfield Beach Road resident who reported seeing smoke and fire coming from the rear of a house located across the creek on Pine Creek Avenue.

Upon arrival Fairfield Fire Lieutenant Brian McHugh reported heavy smoke and fire coming from underneath the home. This house, along with many located on the shoreline in Fairfield, are raised up and supported on pillars to protect them from flood waters such as what occurred during Super Storm Sandy. The fire was burning underneath the structure, in an area often used for storage. Lt. McHugh and the crew of Engine 1 advanced a hose line and began attacking the fire underneath the structure. He ordered Ladder 1 to search the house that was rapidly filling with smoke for occupants and pets.

The search was negative, no one was home at the time of the fire. Asst. Chief George Gomola arrived on scene and assumed command. Engine 4 crew used a power saw to gain access to from the front of the building and advanced a second hose line to support the fire attack. An additional hose line was stretched inside the home to protect the fire from extending upwards. Firefighters used thermal imaging cameras checked for hidden fires, identified and extinguished hotspots. An aggressive, carefully coordinated fire attack confined the fire to the underside and lowest level of the building. Positive pressure ventilation minimized smoke damage to the second, third, and fourth floors.

According to Asst. Chief Gomola “Our firefighters did an amazing job of reducing risk to adjacent homes by quickly and efficiently putting this fire out. The homes on Pine Creek Ave are very close together, and the quick extinguishment prevented the fire from endangering neighboring homes.” According to Chief Gomola “One of the dangers faced by firefighters in this fire was the storage of propane cylinders and gas cans stored under the building and encountered during the fire attack. We ask residents to keep propane tanks and gas cans away from the building when possible.”

Fairfield Police assisted with the precautionary evacuation of a neighboring home, provided traffic control, and assisted with locating home owners, who were not home at the time of the fire. AMR ambulance provided emergency medical standby at the scene. Westport and Bridgeport Fire Departments provided coverage during the fire.

Fairfield Engines 1, 2,4,5, L1, L2 and C-3 responded to the scene. The fire was deemed under control at 1953 hrs. Fire Marshal Bill Kessler, Building Official Tom Connelly, and Fire Chief Felner responded to the scene. Southport Squad 14 was manned and provided standby coverage at Station 1. The last fire unit left the scene at approximately 10:33 p.m. No injuries were reported. This fire is under investigation by the Fairfield Fire Marshal’s Office.



About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress