BREAKING NEWS: Kyle Navin pleads not guilty at arraignment

Kyle Navin, 27, son of missing couple Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin, was arraigned in federal court in Bridgeport today before Judge William I. Garfinkel.

He pleaded not guilty to the charge of possession of a firearm by an individual who is an unlawful user of and addicted to any controlled substance.

The date of Oct. 15 was set for defense motions, and jury selection was set for Nov. 9.

The arraignment was very brief and lasted about five minutes. Navin walked into the courtroom wearing a tan prison uniform and sporting a full beard. He walked in slowly with a bad limp.

Navin stumbled while getting up to plead not guilty to the charge. In August, when he was questioned by police, Navin said he has a broken back.

Navin has been held in police custody and detention since his arrest on Sept. 8. He will remain in detention until a hearing for his release is scheduled. Navin’s attorney, Eugene Riccio asked the court on Sept. 11 for a continuance of the detention hearing so he could obtain additional information.

On Sept. 17, a federal grand jury in Bridgeport indicted Kyle Navin with one count of possession of a firearm by an individual who is an unlawful user of and addicted to any controlled substance. The charge carries a maximum term of imprisonment of 10 years.

Navin was originally arrested by criminal complaint on Sept. 8 for the same charge. The charge came after an extensive search by state police of Navin’s Bridgeport home on Aldine Avenue which uncovered numerous firearms and ammunition as well as drugs.

Kyle Navin’s parents, Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin, were reported missing by family members on Aug. 7. Kyle Navin was reportedly the last person to see them on Aug. 4.

Navin is a 2006 graduate of Weston High School where he was a star hockey athlete.

The arrest warrant affidavit for Kyle Navin, written by FBI Special Agent Michael Zuk, contains startling allegations about Kyle Navin and the firearms and drugs found in his home.

The affidavit also revealed a portion of a text message conversation between Kyle Navin and Jeffrey Navin on Aug. 4, the last day the couple was seen.

Jeffrey Navin asked Kyle in a text, “Did you hurt mom,” and after Kyle denied it, Jeffrey said, “I go home and get framed for murder… U R setting me up.”

Jeffrey Navin is the owner of the J&J Refuse sanitation company in Westport. Kyle Navin is the company’s operations manager.

Jeanette Navin is a longtime employee with the Weston public schools, whom Schools Superintendent Colleen Palmer called a “beloved employee.”

Jeffrey and Jeanette Navin had been living in a home on Osborn Farm Road in Weston since 1994. The house was in Jeanette’s name only, and she sold it in June for $900,000. The couple then moved to a more modest rental home on Staples Road in Easton, where they last lived before they disappeared.

Navin is considered a person of interest in the case by police, but has not been charged in connection with the couple’s disappearance.

The case has been assigned to Senior U.S. District Judge Warren W. Eginton in Bridgeport, and is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracy Lee Dayton.

Federal court house in Bridgeport. —Greg Menti photo

Federal court house in Bridgeport. —Greg Menti photo

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress