Don't ignore the CO alarm: close call at Fairfield condo

The Fairfield Fire Department warned residents Monday that they ignore carbon monoxide detectors at their peril, reporting a carbon monoxide leak at Balmaha Close in the Woodfield Village condominium complex Sunday that sent one resident to the hospital.

A tenant of one of the affected units told firefighters he disabled his carbon monoxide detector when it went off in the middle of the night Sunday, thinking it was malfunctioning.

The alarm was not malfunctioning, and by the time firefighters arrived at about 9 a.m. Sunday on a call to check the alarm, there was a “serious carbon monoxide infiltration,” according to Assistant Chief Christopher Tracy. A tenant in one of the units with high levels of carbon monoxide was transported to the hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms.

“Don’t hesitate to call us in the middle of the night,” Tracy said, adding, “We would much rather go in preemptively.”

The leak may have come from a faulty exhaust flu, Tracy said. The matter is under investigation.

 

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress