Gas line break causes evacuation of Fairfield home

Fairfield-gasleak

Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood, Lt. Lee Corbo and firefighters Andy Darrow and Brian Madia work with an SCG field representative at the scene of a gas leak at 5 Garden Court.

A gas leak caused by a broken line outside a Fairfield house Monday caused fire officials to evacuate the house while  the line was repaired, fire officials said.

The Fairfield Fire Department responded to a report of a gas leak outside a two-story residence at 5 Garden Court at 12:49 p.m., according to fire department reports. Firefighters arriving on the scene found a break in a natural gas line on the meter of the occupied building and evacuated the residence.

Fire personnel set up a protective hose stream in front of the house, established a water supply line from the hydrant and began to meter the building, by which time Assistant Chief Schuyler Sherwood arrived and assumed command.

After working with Southern Connecticut Gas in shutting off the leak, fire department personnel turned the scene over to gas company workers to complete repairs.

“This was a good example of why residents need to inspect their utilities on a regular basis,” said first arriving officer Corbo. “The lines leading into the house service showed signs of rust, indicating the possibility that they may have become compromised. It’s also critical that people check their smoke, carbon monoxide and gas detectors if they have them on a regular basis and change the batteries when they change their clocks.”

 

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress