Firefighters respond to Cider Mill Lane fire call

An unattended candle may have been the cause of last night’s fire on Cider Mill Lane.

According to the Fairfield Fire Department, firefighters responded to a 9-1-1 call around 6:11 p.m. at 40 Cider Mill Lane on March 25.

Firefighters saw that there was a fire on the second floor of the house, and searched the home to ensure all occupants and pets were safely removed from the house. Additional fire units responded to the scene and worked to the confine the fire to the second floor bathroom. Some fire extended to the attic through a bathroom exhaust fan but did not cause significant damage to the roof or structure.

The cause of the fire is under investigation but is believed to be accidental. According to the occupants, an unattended candle was left burning in the upstairs bathroom. Upon returning to the bathroom, one of the occupants noticed the fire and heard the smoke alarm sound. A second occupant tried to use a fire extinguisher to control the fire and buy time as they tried to rescue their dog. Despite being exposed to smoke while inside the building, none of the occupants reported injuries and refused medical care on scene.

The last fire unit cleared the scene at 7:45 p.m.

A reminder from the fire department

“According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there are over 15,000 fires caused by candles in homes each year and 55% of them are caused by candles being too close to other combustible materials,” said Assistant Chief Scott Bisson. “The smoke detector located outside of the bathroom operated properly just as the occupant noticed the fire and assisted in alerting others in the house of the fire giving them time to safely escape.”

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress