Firefighters get quick knockdown on Shady Hill fire


Fairfield firefighters battled this blaze last night at 271 Shady Hill Road.

Fairfield Fire Engines 1, 2, 3 and 5; Ladders 1 and 2; and Car 3 responded, with Car 3 first on the scene at 7:12, confirming the garage fully engulfed in flames with all occupants out of the house and calling for a fifth Engine.

Engine 2 and Ladder 2 arrived shortly thereafter and stretched hose lines to the garage, knocking down the main body of fire in the garage, which was fueld by several propane tanks that had started to vent flammable gas, pending the arrival of Engine 1, which established a positive water supply from the hydrant.

Engine 1 and Engine 3 then extended hose lines up to the main attic, where they knocked down fire that had extended in from the attached garage attic as Ladder 1 and Engine 4 ventilated the roof and Ladder 2 secured the gas and electric utilities.

Fire Chief Richard Felner, Fire Marshal Bill Kessler, Building Official Jim Gilleran and Electrical Official Tom Conley were called to the scene, along with a United Illuminating representative, to secure the power at the meter, with Westport and Bridgeport fire departments providing mutual aid resources to cove Fairfield Fire Stations 1 and 2.

Incident Commander Assistant Chief Chris Tracy reported a recall at 7:51, with Engine 5 going back in service at 7:59 to respond to a chemical odor on Turney Road. Additional companies took up and cleared the scene over the following two hours, with Kessler, Car 3 and Ladder 2 the last units to clear at 10:09, turning the scene over to the homeowner and their restoration company.

“It was a good, aggressive initial attack with a two and a half hoseline by Company 2 led by Lt. [Dennis] Eannotti that kept the fire from extending further into the house, along with disciplined leadership by Lts. Lee Corbo and Brian McHugh on Engines 3 and 1 getting their lines up into the attic before it lit up working in coordination with roof ventilation from Lt. Justin Greenhaw with Engine 4 and Ladder 1 and rapid interior overhaul by the Ladder 2 crew,” Tracey said. “The most important thing that kept the fire from doing more damage, though, was quick thinking by the homeowner in getting everyone out of the house and calling 911 to report the fire. Their good decision to evacuate immediately made it possible for us to contain the fire where we found it.”

One firefighter was sent to Bridgeport Hospital for an ankle injury and later releases. The fire cause remains under investigation by the fire marshal’s office.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress