One hospitalized after fire early Sunday

Fairfield firefighters say smoking caused fire

A Fairfield resident was hospitalized with burns after a fire early Sunday, Aug. 18.

Firefighters remove a burned couch from a fire that sent a School Street resident to the hospital early Sunday, Aug. 18. (Fairfield Fire Department Photo)

Firefighters remove a burned couch from a fire that sent a School Street resident to the hospital early Sunday, Aug. 18. (Fairfield Fire Department Photo)

Firefighters responded to a report of a structure fire at 175 School St. at 4:45 a.m.

The assistant chief arrived to find smoke coming from the second floor of the two-story house.

The family of four and their dog were all outside when firefighters arrived, Asst. Chief Scott Bisson said.

A 19-year-old male who was inside the house suffered burns to his hand and face, according to a Fire Department press release.

Firefighters from Engine 2 and Ladder 2 quickly entered the building and extinguished the fire. Additional units supported on-scene operations and medical care was provided to the victim by on scene fire personnel.

The victim was transported to Bridgeport Hospital by AMR with non-life threatening injuries.

The fire was caused by improperly discarded smoking materials, according to a press release.

“The Fairfield Fire Department wants to remind everyone about the importance of installing and maintaining working smoke detectors on all levels of the home, especially in the sleeping areas,” Bisson said.

The last unit cleared the scene at 5:43 a.m.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress