Arrests made in jewelry store heist

Five people were charged in connection with the kidnapping of four Meriden residents and the subsequent robbery of the Lenox Jewelry store in Fairfield this past month.

“It should bring a piece of mind to a lot of jewelers” and the community, said Lt. James Perez of the Fairfield Police Department. “These individuals have been doing it in other states.”

The arrest came from a joint effort with law enforcement from the U.S. Attorney’s office, U.S. Marshall’s office, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and New York. Perez said the individuals who were arrested had allegedly  committed similar crimes in those states.

After finding similarities in the cases all of “these different agencies came together … Clearly it was a cooperative effort, and ultimately that’s how good police work get done,” said Perez. “When we all have the same mission, we can accomplish it a lot quicker.”

Perez said that Lenox was robbed once before.

“It may not have been the same guys, but it was the same group,” he said.  “We were happy we were able to break it up.”

Two of the suspects were set to appear in court at 1 p.m. today.



On April 11, at 10:51 p.m., a store manager called police to report that he and a second employee were kidnapped and the store was robbed.

Police said the two employees were taken at gunpoint from an apartment in Meriden.

As these two victims were being held, two acquaintances arrived at their apartment and were held by two additional suspects.

The manager and employee were placed into the manager’s vehicle, a 2009 silver BMW with Massachusetts plates, and were driven from Meriden to Fairfield.

The victims opened the store, allowing the suspects entry, and it is believed that in excess of $4 million in jewelry was taken from the store safe. The robbery was conducted in five minutes from the time of entry into the store to the suspects exit.

The two victims were restrained in the back of the store while the robbers left in their vehicle. Shortly after hearing the suspects leave, they were able to free themselves and call 911.

Meriden Police were contacted and it was learned that the two people held in the apartment in Meriden during this robbery were released one minute after the two suspects left the Fairfield Lenox store.

It is believed that all four suspects were communicating and coordinating their efforts with each other during the entire event.

The car used during the robbery was recovered on April 12, on Mill Plain Road in Fairfield.

View the video taken by Doing It Local below.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress