Ludlowe laxmen defeat Warde

The Fairfield Ludlowe boys lacrosse team pinned a 10-2 defeat on cross-town rivals Fairfield Warde on Tuesday night at Tetreau/Davis Field.
With the victory, the Falcons reeled of their fourth victory in a row to improve to 9-6. The Mustangs suffered their fourth straight defeat, dropping to 8-7 overall — 5-6 in the FCIAC.
“That’s a good team over there,” Ludlowe coach Chris Parisi said of Warde. “They play with a lot of heart and a lot of pride. They are well-coached, they’re Fairfield guys…
“Our intensity went to a different level today.”
Henry Kreitler, Mac Eder and Jack Palmer scored two goals apiece for the Falcons, who upped their FCIAC mark to 6-5. Riley Larson, Kyle Mason, Ben Hawthorne and Ben Tanguay added single markers.
Charlie Edison and Mike Adams scored the goals for Warde, which trailed 3-1 at the break.
Ludlowe dominated the third quarter, with Eder whipping a shot past Mustang goaltender Jason Nerreau with 10:42 left in the frame. The goal came after Falcon netminder John Carey turned aside a quality effort by Warde’s Brian Kerrigan to kick off the second half.
“He’s outstanding in the cage,” Parisi said. “John has quick hands and that changes the way the other team shoots.”
Kreitler made it 5-1 with a goal at 9:47, before Palmer tallied after a crafty fake with 6:37 remaining. Palmer then finished off the four-goal outburst by striking at the 1:49 mark, giving Ludlowe a 7-1 edge heading into the final period.
“They put together a very good quarter,” Warde coach Tom Cunningham said.
The teams went back and forth over the first half of the final period, with Tim Kelly and Sal Loris providing defensive cover in front of Carey (11 saves).
Edison broke through with another Warde marker at 5:47, narrowing the Mustangs’ margin to 7-2. They drew no closer though, as Kreitler potted another goal with 4:25 left to play, with Mason and Tanguay following suit at 3:28 and 1:01, respectively.
Eder struck just eight seconds into the game, giving the Falcons a 1-0 advantage before most of the fans were in their seats.
“That gets the other team on its heels,” Parisi said.
Brendan King looked to trigger an attack for Warde at the other end, but Matt Petroccio’s pass toward the cage was knocked away.
Ludlowe then displayed some late-period lightning, with Larson and Hawthorne scoring in the final minute to extend the Falcon lead to 3-0.
Kervin Jacquez, Ryan Jacob and Kerrigan helped cut down the space in front of Nerreau (eight saves), as Ludlowe looked to add to its lead.
Then, with 38.9 seconds left in the first half, Warde got on the scoreboard when Adams beat Carey.
“In the second quarter, we came back with a little bit more fire,” Cunningham said. “Halftime, we thought we were in good position.”
But, the Falcons regained control in the third quarter and coasted to their fourth consecutive victory. Warde has yet to defeat Ludlowe in the annual rivalry game.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© HAN Network. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress