Menu 

Fairfield woman joins Komen CT board

Christa Allen

Christa Allen

The Connecticut Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure announced that Christa Allen of Fairfield is joining the Board of Directors.

Allen, who holds a bachelor’s degree in English from Trinity College and is currently pursuing her master’s in English at the same institution, is marketing and sponsorship director for Westfarms Mall.

After watching her mother-in-law fight and ultimately lose her battle with breast cancer in 2003, Allen became a volunteer for Komen Connecticut to honor her memory.

“I saw her leave behind six children when she was far too young,” Allen said. “I wanted to do something to preserve the spirit and grace she exemplified during her fight with breast cancer. “

Allen will assist in the development and evolution of Komen Connecticut’s strategies for communications and outreach, helping to spread the word about the organization’s lifesaving impact across the state. Komen Connecticut’s primary focus is on the local community — educating Connecticut residents on the importance of early detection, funding free screening services and providing support to those diagnosed with breast cancer.

Komen Connecticut invests 75% of net proceeds in local breast cancer education, screening and treatment programs across the state. The remaining 25% is invested in national research to find the causes and cures.

For each of the past three years, Komen Connecticut has made more than $1 million in community grants to local organizations providing lifesaving services for women in need across our state. Komen Connecticut relies on the support of the local community to continue investing in cutting-edge research and local breast cancer programs for Connecticut women and their families.

“I am honored to be part of a group not only so dedicated to finding the cures, but also so much a part of the lives they are changing,” Allen said.

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress