Menu 

Neighbor’s call saves Fairfield house, family from fire

The Fairfield Fire Department was dispatched to a report of a house on fire in the area of Colony and Fairview streets on Jan. 6, just after 7 a.m. An unidentified neighbor calling 911 reported that they could see flames and smoke coming from the side of the house.

First arriving fire units found moderate smoke visible from the building. The building’s occupants were already outside when the fire department arrived and reported that everyone, including their two children and pets, were outside of the house safe after being notified by their neighbor that the house was on fire.

Firefighters used a pre-connected hose line to extinguish the fire and tools to ensure the fire did not extend into the structure. Upon investigation, the point of origin of the fire was determined to be an exterior plastic garbage can alongside the house. The cause of the fire was accidental related to improper disposal of smoking materials. Four engines, two ladder companies and the shift commander responded to the scene.

In addition to the damage to the house, a car parked next to the house sustained fire damage to the plastic body parts before the fire could be extinguished. Total estimated damage to both the house and car is estimated at approximately $8,000.00. There were no injuries reported and due to only minor damage, the house was turned back over to the occupant.

“This family was very fortunate that their neighbor saw the fire and alerted them when they did,” Assistant Chief Scott Bisson said. “This notification combined with the rapid call to 911 allowed the sleeping family to escape this fire while it was still small and outside of the structure.”

About author

By participating in the comments section of this site you are agreeing to our Privacy Policy and User Agreement

© Hersam Acorn. All rights reserved. Fairfield Sun, 1000 Bridgeport Avenue, Shelton, CT 06484

Designed by WPSHOWER

Powered by WordPress