There was no evacuation and no one was injured when chemicals combined in a classroom to create a hazardous materials situation at Fairfield Warde High School Friday, Dec. 7.
A chemical release at the school was reported shortly after 11 a.m. Fairfield Fire Engine 5, Ladder 2 and Car 3 were dispatched, with additional response from DEEP and Engine 2 and Engine 3.
A small quantity of potassium chloride, sodium chloride, sodium iodide and benzoic acid may have combined during a routine classroom heating process, according to the Fire Department. First responders reported that the event had taken place earlier Friday morning, and that four students involved, along with their teacher, had been checked and released by the school nurse.
Precautionary measures, including controlled entry and metering, found no contamination or chemical product in the lab, which had been aired out during the earlier class.
The teacher and students were checked by an AMR medic due to minor complaints before being released with the recommendation of follow up with their personal physician.
No evacuation was required, and classes were not significantly disrupted, according to the Fire Department.
Fairfield Public Health Director Sands Cleary joined firefighters and DEEP officials in clearing the classroom for occupancy shortly before 1 p.m., although firefighters and DEEP personnel remained on the scene.